Title: Jubilee Mural
Creator: Charles "Corky" Goss, Chip Miller
Dimensions: 30 feet (height) x 50 feet (width), approximately
Description: The Jubilee Mural was originally painted in 1999 to honor the first twenty-five years of historic preservation efforts by the Landmark Society of Greater Utica. A collaboration between artists Corky Goss and Chip Miller, it presents three buildings from the original Bagg’s Square West District. On the left, the Saturday Globe Building was built around 1885, with additions in 1887 and 1892. In the middle is the Saint James Hotel, from circa 1886. Both of these buildings were demolished in 1993. On the right, Mechanics Hall, circa 1836, still stands today, although significantly altered. The mural invites visitors to the newly revitalized Bagg’s Square area. It was restored by the artists in 2015 thanks to funding from Rust2Green, National Grid, and the Bagg’s Square Association. It was joined soon after by two additional murals. A Wayfinding mural was installed under the Genesee Street overpass to point the direction to major streets and buildings. In April of 2016, a third mural was unveiled displaying a historical timeline of the district. Make sure to visit these murals while you're hungry and ready to shop: the neighborhood is full of great restaurants, bakeries, and other businesses.
Subject: Public art, Mural painting and decoration
Rights: © Charles "Corky" Goss and Chip Miller 1999
Location: 94 Genesee Street, Utica