Clayville Public Library
Title: Clayville Public Library
Medium: stained glass
Description: The Art Nouveau stained glass windows in the Clayville Library remain from the building's earlier incarnation as Pilgrim Congregational Church. Originally built in 1856, it was remodeled in 1890, and the stained glass windows were installed gradually over the years, ending in about 1928. The church closed in 1999 and was purchased by the Clayville Library Association for $1.00. Each different time of day provides a different view of the luminescent windows. During the day, the best view is from inside, to see the way light streams in through the many different colors. When the building is occupied at night, the view from outside is of the soft glow from the lights within. The designs of the windows include several different genres of stained glass for this period. They range from landscapes and elaborate floral motifs to simpler windows with more stylized, abstracted flowers, showing the influence of the Arts and Crafts Movement.
Subject: Stained glass windows, Public art
Rights: Copyright undetermined
Find out more:
Location: 2265 Oneida Street, Clayville